Adult Bible Study and Sunday School – 11am
- How Christianity Changed the World (Pastor Temme)
- Book of Ezra (Alan Letterman)
Bible Class Notes
Sunday School Opening
Who remembers the Sunday school song about Zacchaeus?
What do we know about Zacchaeus? Tax collector, rich, short
What was he seeking? To see who Jesus was
How did he manage to see Jesus over the crowds? Climbed a sycamore tree
Was this stunt have been proper for a rich tax official? Hardly
How does Jesus greet Zacchaeus? By name. With mercy. He invites himself to come into his house.
“Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.”
What was Zacchaeus’ response? He received Jesus joyfully.
How did the crowds react to Jesus’ action? They grumbled
How did the people regard tax collectors? As traitors, cheats, sinners
How does Zacchaeus show his repentance? He gives half his goods to the poor and restores those he has cheated fourfold.
What did the Law normally require for restitution? Twice the amount lost
How does Jesus absolve Zacchaeus? He tells him that he has salvation as a member of his kingdom.
What did Jesus come to do? Seek and save the lost.
How are we sometimes like the crowds? We begrudge God’s grace to sinners
How are we sometimes like Zacchaeus? We steal from our neighbor. We repent by turning to Jesus for forgiveness and making restitution to our neighbor.
How are we like Jesus? We show mercy to sinners and absolve the repentant.
Thursday Morning Class
- Ladies Bible Study 9:30am Thusday, September through May
Food and fellowship beginning at 9am (Cleoramae Stunkel)
Saturday Morning Class
- LLL Men’s Breakfast and Bible study at 8:30am the first Saturday of the month, September through May
- Youth Confirmation Instruction at 6:30 pm each Thursday September through April
- Pre-Confirmation with Bible instruction at 4pm each Thursday September through April
- Adult Information Class offered upon request at convenience of the students