Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 16 (April 18-24)
- Sunday – Psalm 62 LSB 734 – I Trust, O Lord, Your Holy Name
- 1. For whom alone do we wait for our salvation? v. 1, 5
- 2. To what does the Psalmist compare the God of salvation? v. 2, 6
- 3. Upon what are we not to place our trust? v. 10
- 4. Upon whom are we to place our trust? v. 7-8
- Monday – Leviticus 19 LSB 434 – Lamb of God, Pure and Holy
- 1. What does the LORD require us to be and why? v. 2 (Matthew 5:48)
- 2. Since we break all the Commandments, what is the source of our holiness?
- 3. What was one way which God declared a sinner forgiven in the O.T.? v. 22
- 4. What was a Gospel motivation for the Israelites to keep God’s laws? v.36-37
- Tuesday – Leviticus 20 LSB 504 – Father Most Holy
- 1. What was the punishment for killing a child by sacrifice to a false god? v.2-5
- 2. Besides incest and bestiality, what else was an abomination to God? v. 13
- 3. Why was God driving the inhabitants of Canaan out of the land? v. 23
- 4. Why were the Israelites to separate clean and unclean food? v. 24-26
- Wednesday – Leviticus 21 LSB 636 –Soul, Adorn Yourself with Gladness v1-4
- 1. Why was the priest who offers the bread of God to be holy & sanctified? v.8
- 2. Why was the chief priest not to take a defiled woman but a virgin as bride?
- 3. How does Christ ensure that His bride the Church is holy? (Isaiah 61:10)
- 4. What were some qualifications for pastors in the N.T. Church? (1 Tim. 3:2-7)
- Thursday – Leviticus 23 LSB 489 – Hail Thee, Festival Day v. 1-2
- 1. What did the celebration of the Feast of Passover remind the Israelites?
- 2. What did the celebration of the Feast of Weeks remind the Israelites?
- 3. What did the celebration of the Feast of Booths remind the Israelites?
- 4. What are some feasts we celebrate to remember how the Lord delivered us?
- Friday – Leviticus 25 LSB 832 – Jesus Shall Reign
- 1. After sowing their fields for 6 years, what were the people to do on the 7th?
- 2. After 7 Sabbath years, every 50 years, what happened in the year of Jubilee?
- 3. Who gives our souls a Sabbath rest from our weariness? (Matthew 11:28-30)
- 4. How did Jesus fulfill the year of Jubilee (year of the Lord’s favor) for us?
- Saturday – Isaiah 50 LSB 724 – If God Himself Be for Me v. 1-5 tune LSB 915
- 1. Besides Isaiah, what future prophet taught God’s Word? v. 4 (John 8:28-29)
- 2. When did the suffering Servant give his back to blows & face to spitting? v.6
- 3. What does it mean for the LORD’s Servant to set His face like a flint? v. 7
- 4. Who will declare us guilty for all our sins? v. 9 (Romans 8:31-34)
For this week, memorize & meditate on the 10th Commandment & its meaning
Answers to Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 16 (April 18-24)
- Sunday – Psalm 62
- 1. We wait for God alone to save us through His Son, Jesus Christ.
- 2. God is our rock and fortress; therefore, we will not be shaken.
- 3. We are not to trust in earthly riches or deceitful ways of getting them.
- 4. We are to trust in God at all times for He is our refuge, salvation, and glory.
- Monday – Leviticus 19
- 1. We are to be holy (perfect) by keeping His Commandments for God is holy.
- 2. By His perfect keeping of the Law and His suffering and death, Jesus reconciles us to God and presents us as holy before Him. (Colossians 1:21-23)
- 3. The Sacrament of the guilt offering made atonement & granted forgiveness.
- 4. The LORD delivered them from their bondage in Egypt.
- Tuesday – Leviticus 20
- 1. The community was to stone the perpetrator lest they be cut off from God.
- 2. Homosexual acts punishable by death.
- 3. Because of their murder of children, occult practices, and sexual immorality.
- 4. They were to be holy (separate) from sinful (unclean) peoples around them.
- Wednesday – Leviticus 21
- 1. Because the Lord who is holy sanctifies us. In the N.T. by the Lord’s Supper.
- 2. Because Christ, our high priest, takes us to be His holy bride.
- 3. He covers us with the garments of salvation & the robe of His righteousness.
- 4. Above reproach, husband of one wife, temperate, self-controlled, able to teach, respectable, hospitable, not a lover of money, manage his family well.
- Thursday – Leviticus 23
- 1. How God delivered them from bondage in Egypt by the Passover Lamb.
- 2. How God provided a harvest of grain, also called Pentecost.
- 3. How God preserved them in the wilderness for 40 years in tents.
- 4. Christmas (Incarnation), Easter (Resurrection), Pentecost (Harvest of Souls)
- Friday – Leviticus 25
- 1. Let the land, people, servants, and animals have a Sabbath year of rest.
- 2. Liberty proclaimed, land returned to families, slaves freed, loans written off
- 3. Jesus takes the burdens of our sins & gives us the yoke of His righteousness.
- 4. Jesus liberates us from captivity to sin, death, and the devil. (Luke 4:17-21)
- Saturday – Isaiah 50
- 1. Jesus Christ spoke with authority just as the Father taught Him.
- 2. Jesus in His passion when he was flogged and mocked. (Matthew 26:67-68)
- 3. Jesus resolutely set His face to go to Jerusalem to suffer and die. (Luke 9:51)
- 4. No one because God justifies us by Christ who died, rose & intercedes for us.
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 15 (April 11-17)
- Sunday – Psalm 51 LSB 956 – Create in Me
- 1. After David commits adultery with Bathsheba, what does he confess? v. 1-4
- 2. Besides his actual sins, what else is David guilty of? v. 5
- 3. Besides blotting out his sin, what else does David desire God to do? v.10-12
- 4. What is David able to do after repentance and turning back to God? v. 13
- Monday – Leviticus 8 LSB 682–God of the Prophets, Bless the Prophets’ Sons
- 1. Who was present for the ordination of Aaron and his sons as priests? v. 3-4
- 2. What identified the one who would hold the office of high priest? v. 5-12
- 3. What was the purpose of the sacrifice and sprinkling Aaron with blood? v.34
- 4. Who was anointed with the Holy Spirit to be our high priest? (Hebrews 3:1)
- Tuesday – Leviticus 9 LSB 431 – Not All the Blood of Beasts
- 1. What was the purpose of Aaron making the sin offering & burnt offering? v.7
- 2. How were these sacrifices like a New Testament Sacrament?
- 3. What was the purpose of the peace offering? v. 18 (Leviticus 19:5-6)
- 4. How was the peace offering like the Lord’s Supper?
- Wednesday – Leviticus 10 LSB 507 – Holy, Holy, Holy
- 1. Why did the LORD consume the sons of Aaron, Nadab & Abihu with fire? v.1
- 2. When were the priests not to indulge in wine or strong drink? v. 9
- 3. Why were they to distinguish between holy & common, clean & unclean?
- 4. How might you honor God’s presence and holiness in Divine worship?
- Thursday – Leviticus 16 LSB 550 Lamb of God
- 1. When was the only time that Aaron could enter the most holy place? v. 2-5
- 2. What did Aaron do with blood of the first sacrificial goat? v. 15-17
- 3. What did Aaron do with the second goat, the scapegoat? v. 21-22
- 4. After His baptism, how was Jesus like the scapegoat? (Mark 1:9-13)
- Friday – Leviticus 18 LSB 701 – Draw Us to Thee
- 1. What did the LORD command concerning the life of the Israelites? v. 1-5
- 2. What evil practice of the Canaanites did God prohibit? v. 21
- 3. Besides incest and adultery, what else was an abomination to God? v. 22-23
- 4. What would happen if the Israelites did sexual abominations? v. 24-30
- Saturday – Isaiah 49 LSB 471 – O Sons and Daughters of the King
- 1. Whom does the LORD call and name from the womb to deliver Israel? v. 1,5
- 2. What was too light a thing for the LORD’s servant to do? v. 6
- 3. When we feel forsaken by God, what should we remember? v. 14-16
- 4. Though Christ was forsaken by God, how does He remember us?
For this week, memorize & meditate on the 9th Commandment and its meaning
Answers to Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 15 (April 11-17)
- Sunday – Psalm 51
- 1. David confesses his actual sin against God and his need for God’s mercy.
- 2. David confesses his original sin from conception, that is his sinful nature.
- 3. Create a clean heart & right spirit in him & take not the Holy Spirit from him.
- 4. Then David can teach other transgressors to return to God and learn His ways
- Monday – Leviticus 8
- 1. The LORD told Moses to assemble all the congregation at the Tabernacle.
- 2. The high priest wore holy vestments and was anointed with oil.
- 3. To make atonement or satisfaction to God for his sins.
- 4. Christ (the Anointed One) intercedes for us & atones for our sin on the cross.
- Tuesday – Leviticus 9
- 1. To make atonement or satisfaction to God for his sins & the sins of the people
- 2. God joins His Word of promise to a visible element for the forgiveness of sins
- 3. The flesh from the sacrifice was to be eaten by the priests and Israelite families as a meal for holy communion with God.
- 4. In the bread we eat Christ’s flesh sacrificed on the cross & commune w/ God.
- Wednesday – Leviticus 10
- 1. Because they offered unauthorized fire in a censor. God does not tolerate man’s arbitrary worship procedures but provides ordinances for worship.
- 2. Before or during the time they carried out their liturgical duties for worship.
- 3. All rituals were to protect God’s people from desecrating His holiness.
- 4. By your attire, cleanliness, speech, behavior, attention, and reverence.
- Thursday – Leviticus 16
- 1. The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), washed & wearing the holy garments.
- 2. He sprinkled it over the mercy seat to make atonement for sins.
- 3. He confessed over it the sins of the people & sent it to the wilderness to die.
- 4. As the sinner bearer of the world, the H.S. drove Him into the wilderness.
- Friday – Leviticus 18
- 1. Not to walk in the ways of the Egyptians & Canaanites but the way of LORD.
- 2. The killing and sacrifice of their children to the god, Molech.
- 3. Homosexual acts and bestiality. (Romans 1:26-27)
- 4. The LORD would punish their iniquity & they would be vomited from the land
- Saturday – Isaiah 49
- 1. While in Mary’s womb, the angel named Jesus which means “the Lord saves”
- 2. To redeem only Israel. Christ would also bring salvation to the Gentiles.
- 3. Like a mother her child, God will not forget us. He engraves us on His hands.
- 4. Christ bears the scars of the cross on His hands as a mark of His love for us.
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 14 (April 4-10)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 13 (March 28 -April 3)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 12 (March 21-27)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 11 (March 14-20)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 10 (March 7-13)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 9 (February 28-March 6)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 8 (February 21-27)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 7 (February 14-20)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 6 (February 7-13)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 5 (January 31-February 6)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 4 (January 24-30)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 3 (January 17-23)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 2 (January 10-16)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 1 (January 3-9)
A Website of Lutheran Hour Ministries