Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 24 (June 13-19)
- Sunday – Psalm 116 LSB 678 – We Sing for All the Unsung Saints
- 1. Why does the psalmist love the LORD? v. 1-8
- 2. Why is the death of His saints precious in the sight of the LORD? v. 15
- 3. When do we sing verses 12-13 and 17-19 of this Psalm?
- 4. Why are these words appropriate for the Offertory & its place in the service?
- Mon – Joshua 1 LSB 647 – Lord Jesus Christ, the Church’s Head
- 1. What commands (Law) does the LORD give to Joshua? v. 2-9
- 2. What promises (Gospel) does the LORD give to Joshua? v. 2-9
- 3. What is the chain of command for the Israelites? v. 10-11
- 4. What do the Reubenites, Gadites & half tribe of Manasseh promise? v.12-16
- Tuesday – Joshua 2 LSB 732 – All Depends on Us Possessing
- 1. How is Joshua’s strategy different from Moses who sent 12 spies? v. 1
- 2. How does Rahab help the spies and why? v. 3-7, 15-16 (Hebrews 11:31)
- 3. What faith does Rahab confess? v. 8-11
- 4. What do the spies promise Rahab? v. 14, 18-19
- Wednesday – Joshua 3 LSB 601 – All Who Believe and Are Baptized
- 1. What leads the people through the Jordan & what does it represent? v. 2-6
- 2. How will they know that God is with them to give them the land? v. 10-13
- 3. Who stood in the midst of the Jordan as the people crossed on dry ground?
- 4. How is the crossing of the Jordan a type of Baptism?
- Thursday – Joshua 4 LSB 866 – Lord Jesus Christ, the Children’s Friend
- 1. Why did the LORD command 12 stones to be taken from the Jordan? v. 1-7
- 2. What happened when the priests carrying the ark left the Jordan? v. 15-18
- 3. To whom else would the stone memorial give witness of the LORD? v. 20-24
- 4. What symbols and memorials in church remind us of God’s salvation?
- Friday – Joshua 5 LSB 661 – The Son of God Goes Forth to War
- 1. After they first entered the land, what did God command and why? v. 2-7
- 2. What did the Israelites celebrate and what did the LORD provide? v. 10-12
- 3. Before we go out as part of the church militant, how does God prepare us?
- 4. Who is the Commander of the LORD’s army whom Joshua worshipped?
- Saturday – Jeremiah 7 LSB 513 – The Clouds of Judgment Gather tune 644
- 1. What does the LORD promise if the people repent of their evil ways? v. 5-7
- 2. How will the LORD condemn their sins and hypocritical worship? v. 8-15
- 3. What did the LORD do to warn and turn His people from their sin? v. 25-26
- 4. How will the LORD punish the people for sacrificing their children? v. 31-34
This week, memorize & meditate on The Fifth Petition of the Lord’s Prayer
Answers to Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 24 (June 13-19)
- Sunday – Psalm 116
- 1. The LORD hears his prayer, is gracious and merciful, saves and delivers him.
- 2. At death a saint enters heaven, made holy by God’s grace and Jesus’ blood.
- 3. These verses are the word of the Offertory for Divine Service I.
- 4. We offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving for receiving the benefits of the Service of the Word and now lift up the cup of salvation in the Service of the Sacrament
- Monday – Joshua 1
- 1. Cross the Jordan and do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses.
- 2. I will be with you, never forsake you, and will give the people the land.
- 3. From the LORD to Joshua to the officers to the people.
- 4. Though their land is east of the Jordan, their fighting men will cross and fight.
- Tuesday – Joshua 2
- 1. Joshua sends only 2 spies secretly who report back to him about Jericho.
- 2. She hides the spies on her roof & helps them escape because of her faith.
- 3. Faith in the LORD of all things who dried up the Red Sea & blesses His people
- 4. If she ties a scarlet cord in her window, she and her household will be spared.
- Wednesday – Joshua 3
- 1. The ark of the covenant acts as the LORD’s throne and shows His presence.
- 2. When the priests bearing the ark touch the Jordan, it will stop flowing.
- 3. The priests carrying the ark of the covenant and, therefore, the LORD.
- 4. Through water we enter the kingdom of God & the promised land of heaven.
- Thursday – Joshua 4
- 1. To serve as a memorial of how God cut off the Jordan so they could cross.
- 2. The waters of the Jordan returned to flood stage.
- 3. The children of future generations would hear of the LORD’s mighty work.
- 4. Cross, candles, paraments, banners, altar, font, stained glass windows
- Friday – Joshua 5
- 1. Joshua was to have all the males circumcised, which was a sign God gave to Abraham that He would give his descendants the land. (Genesis 17:8-11)
- 2. The Passover. The LORD provided the produce of the land in place of manna.
- 3. With Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, signs and blessings of God’s forgiveness
- 4. The Lord, specifically the Son of God. (Exodus 3:4-5) (Revelation 19:11-16)
- Saturday – Jeremiah 7
- 1. God will let them dwell in the land that He gave their forefathers forever.
- 2. God will destroy their house of worship and cast them out of His sight.
- 3. The LORD sent His prophets but the people would not listen & were stubborn
- 4. Their dead bodies will be food for animals and their land will be a waste.
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 23 (June 6-12)
- Sunday – Psalm 110 LSB 494 – See, the Lord Ascends in Triumph tune 826
- 1. What does David mean when he says, “The LORD says to my Lord”? v. 1
- 2. What does God say to His Son that is fulfilled after Jesus’ ascension? v. 1
- 3. In what office does Jesus now serve forever at the right hand of God? v. 4
- 4. From God’s right hand of power, what will Jesus do on the Last Day? v. 5-6
- Mon – Deuteronomy 26 LSB 893 – Sing to the Lord of Harvest
- 1. What were the people to do after they received their land inheritance?v.1-4
- 2. What were the people to confess as they offered the first fruits? v. 5-11
- 3. Who received the benefits of the tithe of first fruits? v. 12-13
- 4. What does the LORD promise to those who walk in His ways? v. 16-19
- Tuesday – Deuteronomy 28 LSB 346 – When All the World Was Cursed
- 1. If we faithfully obey the voice of the LORD, what does He promise? v. 1-14
- 2. If we do not obey the voice of the LORD, what else does He promise? v. 15f
- 3. Who redeemed us from the curse of not keeping God’s Law? (Galatians 3:13)
- 4. Why are we blessed by God, now and for all eternity? (Ephesians 1:3-7)
- Wednesday – Deuteronomy 30 LSB 611 – Chief of Sinners Though I Be
- 1. What does God desire of His people who are cursed for not obeying? v. 1-2
- 2. What will the LORD do for those who repent? v. 3-10
- 3. Where is the Word of the LORD and His Commandments? v. 11-14
- 4. What choice does God desire us to make? v. 15-20
- Thursday – Deuteronomy 31 LSB 338 – Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus
- 1. Though Moses would not cross the Jordan, who would go with them? v. 1-8
- 2. What were the people to do every seven years and why? v. 9-13
- 3. Whom did God commission to take Moses’ place of leadership? v. 14-15
- 4. What did God commission Joshua to do for the Israelites? v. 23
- Friday – Deuteronomy 34 LSB 677 – For All the Saints
- 1. What did the LORD show Moses from the top of Mt. Nebo & Pisgah? v. 1-4
- 2. When Moses died, who buried his body? v. 5-6
- 3. Who raised Moses before the Last Day and for what purpose? (Jude 1:9)
- 4. Why was Moses known as the greatest Old Testament prophet? v. 10-12
- Saturday – Jeremiah 1 LSB 573 – Lord, ‘Tis Not That I Did Choose Thee
- 1. When did Jeremiah speak the Word of the LORD? v. 1-3
- 2. When did the LORD first know Jeremiah & appoint him to be His prophet?v.5
- 3. How did the LORD test whether Jeremiah would speak His Word? v. 11-12
- 4. How did the LORD encourage Jeremiah as he prophesied judgment? v.17-19
This week, memorize & meditate on The Fourth Petition of the Lord’s Prayer
Answers to Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 23 (June 6-12)
- Sunday – Psalm 110
- 1. The LORD (Yahweh) says to my Lord (Jesus Christ). God says to His Son.
- 2. “Sit at my right hand.” He sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
- 3. Jesus is our priest who hears our prayers and intercedes for us before God.
- 4. Judge the nations. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead
- Monday – Deuteronomy 26
- 1. They were to bring the first fruits of the land as an offering in worship.
- 2. That God had delivered from oppression and brought them to this good land.
- 3. The Levites (church workers), sojourners (homeless), orphans, and widows.
- 4. That they will be His treasured possession and set apart as His holy people.
- Tuesday – Deuteronomy 28
- 1. The LORD promises to give us temporal blessings in this earthly life.
- 2. The LORD promises to send curses upon our earthly life.
- 3. Jesus was cursed by God for us when He was crucified on the cross.
- 4. God blesses us in Christ by the blood of His redemption for our forgiveness.
- Wednesday – Deuteronomy 30
- 1. That they repent, return to the LORD their God, and obey His voice.
- 2. The LORD will gather and restore them and make them prosperous.
- 3. Not far off in heaven or far away on earth but near us in our mouth and heart
- 4. Not death and evil, but life and good by holding fast to Him who is our life.
- Thursday – Deuteronomy 31
- 1. The LORD would drive out the nations. He would never leave or forsake them
- 2. Assemble and hear the reading of the Law so their children would fear God.
- 3. Joshua (Hebrew for “the LORD saves”, Jesus in Greek)
- 4. Bring them into the Promised Land like Jesus brings us into His kingdom.
- Friday – Deuteronomy 34
- 1. The Land God promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and their offspring.
- 2. God buried Moses in the valley in the land of Moab.
- 3. God raised Moses from the dead to appear on the Mount of Transfiguration to give testimony of Jesus and discuss His exodus. (Luke 9:28-31)
- 4. Because the LORD spoke with him face to face and because of all the signs and wonders which the LORD sent him to do in the sight of His people.
- Saturday – Jeremiah 1
- 1. During the reign of the last 5 kings of Judah before the exile to Babylon 587BC
- 2. Before God formed him in the womb and before he was born.
- 3. The LORD gave Jeremiah a vision of an almond branch, and he confirmed it.
- 4. The LORD would be with Jeremiah and make him to be a fortified city.
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 22 (May 30 – June 5)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 21 (May 23-29)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 20 (May 16-22)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 19 (May 9-15)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 18 (May 2-8)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 17 (April 25-May1)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 16 (April 18-24)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 15 (April 11-17)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 14 (April 4-10)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 13 (March 28 -April 3)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 12 (March 21-27)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 11 (March 14-20)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 10 (March 7-13)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 9 (February 28-March 6)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 8 (February 21-27)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 7 (February 14-20)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 6 (February 7-13)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 5 (January 31-February 6)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 4 (January 24-30)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 3 (January 17-23)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 2 (January 10-16)
Daily Meditation on the Old Testament – Week 1 (January 3-9)
A Website of Lutheran Hour Ministries